This list is for informational purposes only and comes from transgender, non-binary and gender diverse client recommendations as well as professional networking. Please notify us of any negative and/or non-affirming experiences with any providers that may warrant removing a provider from our list
Mental Health Providers
Therapists providing (informed consent) letters for gender affirming surgeries
*These providers agreed to write letters of support for gender affirming surgeries and other medical interventions for clients 18 years or older, within 1-2 sessions. Clients should not be charged additionally for this service beyond the agreed to out of pocket and/or insurance cost.
Gender-Affirming Therapists and Providers
*Gender-Affirmative in this context means use working within a framework of gender diversity and not pathology, as well as an understanding of minority stress and resilience and its impact on clinical and overall functioning for transgender and gender expansive people.
Support and Social Groups:
- Amherst: Teen Real Talk Group, and LGBTQ+ Affirming Safe Space group
- Concord, Keene, Manchester, Portsmouth: PFLAG NH
- Concord: Renaissance New England – social group
- Exeter: Dr. Julie Marsden 603-379-6370
- Maine: Maine Trans Net
- Manchester: Manchester TRANSfusion (currently defunct during COVID-19)
- Nashua: Transplorations
- A Peaceful Balance Support Groups
- Portsmouth: Seacoast Outright
- Rochester: Transgender Outreach Support Group @First Church Congregational
- Virtual support groups and resources: A list created during the pandemic to help trans, non-binary, and gender diverse people connect to support
Primary Medical Care (trans-specific):
- Dartmouth Hitchock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH
- Fenway Health Boston, MA
- Greater Lawrence Family Medical Care Lawrence, MA
- Core Physicians, Exeter New Hampshire
Hormone Replacement Therapy:
- Gender Clinic at Dartmouth Hitchcock
- Equality Health Center, Concord NH
- Planned Parenthood of Manchester, NH
- David Lauter, M.D., Portsmouth, NH 603-433-7500
- Lessa Brill, M.D, UNH, Durham, NH (services available to UNH students only) 603-862-2856
- Lovering Health Center, Greenland, NH
- Dr. Benjamin Boh, Affirm Endocrinology, Lebanon, NH (in person and telehealth)
- Fenway Health Boston, MA
- Greater Lawrence Family Medical Care Lawrence, MA
- Dr. Todd Burdette at Elliot Hospital, Manchester
- Dr. Marbles, Core Physicians, Exeter
- Dr Anthony Wilson, Portsmouth chest reconstruction, breast augmentation)
- Dr Nigriny and Dr Shin, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH
- Dr Bartlett, Brookline, MA
- Dr Tobias, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA (chest reconstruction services including breast augmentation, peri-areolar mastectomy, double incision mastectomy, and nipple grafting)
- Dr. Melissa Johnson, Pioneer Valley Plastic Surgery, Longmeadow, MA
- Dr Heather Faulkner, Mass General Hopsital, Boston, MA (chest reconstruction, breast augmentation)
- Dr Paul Costas, Concord, MA (top surgery: mastectomy and reconstruction and breast augmentation)
- Brigham and Womens Center for Transgender Health, Boston, MA
- Boston Children’s Hospital (vaginoplasty, metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, chest reconstruction, breast augmentation for patients age 25 and younger)
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH
- Boston Medical Center (Orchiectomy and Vaginoplasty)., Boston, MA
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (fertility preservation, orchiectomy, hysterectomies), Boston, MA
- Mass General Hospital’s Transgender Health Program (phalloplasty, vaginoplasty), Boston, MA
- Brigham and Women’s Center for Transgender Health (metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, vaginoplasty), Boston, MA
Other Gender Affirming Surgeries:
- Mass General Hospital’s Transgender Health Program (facial feminization), Boston, MA
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (facial feminization), Boston, MA
- Dr Paul Costas, Concord, MA (facial surgery for masculinization or feminization)
The Affirming Spaces Project (ASP) is a New Hampshire-based organization dedicated to improving local communities through the development and maintenance of welcoming and affirming environments for patrons, visitors and employees of all genders. They train business to be TGNC inclusive and keep a list of those businesses on their site.
Joann’s Electrology in Laconia (603) 344-7207
Jennifer’s Electrolysis in Manchester NH
Hair Stylists, Barbers and Salons:
- Strands for Trans– national list of trans-friendly barber shops enrolled in the program
- Meridith Malloy, NuLook Hair &Body, Hudson, NH (will do hair extensions)
- Queen City Barber Shop, Mall of NH, Manchester
- Salon K, Concord NH
- Stay True Barber Shop, Nashua NH
- Just Calm Down Skin and Nail Studio, Exeter
- Irene Cohen, Salem, NH
- Brenda Lovette
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Your Lessons Now (888) 318-7267
- Resource list for Trans Speech and Voice (includes virtual options)
Genetic banking, fertility options, parenting and related support groups
- California Cryobank sperm banking- offers trans patients a 20% discount using code: PRIDE, Cambridge office: 888-810-2796
- Boston IVF: Egg freezing and Sperm banking, IVF, IUIs
- Fenway Health’s Alternative Insemination Program: IUIs, support groups, and information
- Maia Midwifery– on-line support groups and classes on queer and trans conception, pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, and early parenting
- LAMBDA Legal FAQ on legal issues for trans parents
- ACLU legal guide for transgender parents
Support for parents of trans children
Physical Therapy, Message, and Personal Trainers
Suicide Prevention (National)
- Translife line- suicide prevention hotline for trans, non-binary, gender diverse, and questioning individuals 877-565-8860 https://www.translifeline.org/
- Trevor Lifeline– hotline for young LGBTQ people 866-488-7386 (call) chat or text available on their website: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/
- National LGBT Help center: http://glbtnationalhelpcenter.org/ LGBT hotline: 888-843-4564 LGBT youth hotline: 800-246-7743 LGBT senior hotline: 888-234-7243
ID/Document Change and other Legal Resources (National):
- Mass Trans Political Coalition MTPC works to ensure the wellbeing, safety, and lived equity of all trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive people in Massachusetts.
- Transgender Law Center Transgender Law Center (TLC) is the largest national trans-led organization advocating for a world in which all people are free to define themselves and their futures. Grounded in legal expertise and committed to racial justice, TLC employs a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: The National Center for Transgender Equality advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice.
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project: The Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine their gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination, or violence. SRLP is a collective organization founded on the understanding that gender self-determination is inextricably intertwined with racial, social and economic justice.
- Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund: This fund provides free legal name change services for those who live the cities listed on their website.
Other National Resources
- Mytranshealth: Allows you to search for service providers: medical, legal, mental health, and crisis.
- Trans Health Clinics: A list of clinics with experience in trans healthcare.
- RAD Remedy (Referral Aggregate Database): A network of providers that are trans competent.
- Find a safe bathroom: on-line database of gender neutral bathrooms, searchable by location
- Transbucket– Log in to see or share surgery results from gender affirming surgeries
- The Network/La Red– The Network/La Red is a survivor-led, social justice organization that works to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, SM, polyamorous, and queer communities. Hotline: 617-742-4911
- FORGE– FORGE reduces the impact of trauma on trans/non-binary survivors and communities by empowering service providers, advocating for systems reform, and connecting survivors to healing possibilities.
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs– report anti-LGBTQ hate violence on their site or get support from their hotline 212-714-1141, also available to LGBTQ survivors of sexual assault or intimate partner violence, they also keep a directory of anti-LGBTQ violence member programs across the country
Please contact us with any recommendations or edits.